x265 0.9 is a regularly scheduled bug fix release. Many bugs have been fixed since the 0.8 tag, primarily in rate control and 10bit encodes. A race hazard on POSIX systems was fixed, and several non-determinism problems were resolved.
= API Changes =
* the stride of x265_picture is now in units of bytes, not pixels
* VUI configurables were moved into a param.vui sub-struct
* unimplemented VUI options removed
* bRepeatHeaders option added (inserts VPS+SPS+PPS each keyframe)
* fast-decode tune option added
* x265_encoder_headers() returns NAL byte count on success
= Command Line Interface Changes =
* –dither option to improve quality of pixel downshifts
* –cpuid replaced with x264 compatible –asm option
* –crf-max added
* improved –help documentation, plus new online documentation
* **experimental** –interlaceMode <prog|tff|bff> * **experimental** –weightb
= New Features =
* experimental support for interlaced content (field coding)
* experimental weightb support
We now have online documentation for this release http://x265.readthedocs.org/en/0.9/
plus http://x265.readthedocs.org/en/default/ and http://x265.readthedocs.org/en/stable for the two development branches.
See the online manual for full documentation of CLI (and API) options
Our focus for the near future remains on visual quality and rate control improvements.